Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Chicken Cordon Bleu

We have an ice-stealing ghost.

Unfortunately, our new (to us) house did not come with a fancy schmancy refrigerator that has an ice maker. No, but it did come with 4 old-fashioned ice trays. Since our the money tree outside also died (or maybe was dug up and taken by the new owner) we have to make due with the current refrigerator. Yes, that's the same one whose door fell off a couple weeks ago.

This ghost loves to steal ice but never makes new ice. He's a very naughty, inconsiderate ghost.

See? Here's the proof. Another empty ice tray left sitting around. Often, I find the empty tray inside the freezer. What's up with that? Someone's L-A-Z-Y.

 
 
Um, it occurs to me that it's hard to tell from the picture that the tray is empty. Trust me, there's no ice in this baby. My normally low blood pressure was boiling. You see, I like lots of ice in my soda.
 
 
Let's forget the ice. It's not really a biggie in the scheme of things.


I LOVE ham and cheese. I mean I really really LOVE them.

My picky eater loves chicken.

So any dish with a combination of ham, cheese, and chicken has got to be a winner in my house.

And miracle of miracles! My picky eater is showing an interest in cooking. Her hands are pictured in the photos below. She really got into pounding the poor, dead chicken. I couldn't help but think that my vegetarian friend would be appalled if she saw us taking out our aggression with the mallet.

Since I haven't told my vegetarian friend about this blog, I'll admit it was cathartic to pound the chicken.

 
 
CHICKEN CORDON BLEU
 
 
 




INGREDIENTS:

1 chicken breast per person
about 1 pound ham, sliced
about 1 pound shredded Italian mix cheeses
bread crumbs
2 egg whites
tooth picks
non-stick cooking spray

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.

Spray a large baking dish or pan with non-stick cooking spray

 
 
 
 

You want to tenderize (pound) the chicken until it's flat and can be rolled around the filling.
 
Dip your flattened chicken into the egg white. Then dip into your bread crumbs.
 
 
When the chicken is thoroughly covered with your bread crumbs, move it to your baking dish.
 
 
 
 


Next, break up the ham into small pieces and cover the chicken.


 

Now, sprinkle the cheese over the ham.


 

Roll the chicken up and "pin" it together with a toothpick.

Bake in heated oven until chicken is done, about 40 minutes.

Serve with a vegetable or starch.

Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment