Sunday, April 21, 2013

Grandma's Cherry Pie

When I was a little girl, my favorite grandma and I picked cherries from her tree in the back yard. Then she would make the tastiest cherry pie in the world.

Those are precious memories. I don't know what was better - picking the cherries with Grandma, smelling the delicious pie baking, or eating that scrumptious pie.

She obviously canned a lot of cherries as my father said her basement was full of canned cherries when she died.

To this day, I don't see a cherry pie without thinking of Grandma.

Grandma was special for many reasons. She played Yahtzee and other games with me. She taught me to play Canasta and Sambo. She walked uptown with me to buy cookies with icing in the middle, to get Cincinnati chili, and to buy my winter coat and school shoes. We fed her beloved red birds and blue jays from her kitchen window then watched them fly around her backyard around the cherry tree while we ate at her strategically placed kitchen table; by the window, of course.

And of course, Grandma made her own pie crust to go with her home grown cherries.

Writing this, I can practically smell her pie baking and feel her hugging me.

I wish I had a cherry tree so that I could pick cherries with my grand kids.


GRANDMA'S CHERRY PIE

INGREDIENTS:

FILLING:
4-5 cups fresh cherries
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water

PIE CRUST:
2 cups white flour, sifted
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup milk


DIRECTIONS:

Boil cherries in medium to large sauce pan with sugar, salt, and water. Reduce heat and simmer. Stir often until a syrup forms.

Set aside to cool.

Mix the flour and salt. Pour oil and milk into the flour mixture and stir until well mixed.

Roll 1/2 of the dough betwen two pieces of waxed paper until about 1/8" thick and large enough to fit the pie plate.

Spray the pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.

Transfer to pie plate.

Pour the cooled filling onto the pastry.

Next roll the remaining dough to 1/8" thickness and cover the top of the pie. Remove the excess dough. Flute the edges.

To release steam, make slits in the top of the crust.

Bake in 350 degree F preheated oven.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment