Sunday, April 14, 2013

Kitchen Ambush - Shrimp Scampi and Black Beans and Rice

I admit it. I'm an addict. A Food Network addict. (Also a Pinterest addict.) I guess I have an addictive personality.

I'm watching a new-to-me show, KITCHEN AMBUSH.

What a fun show. Fun, except I'd be mortified if somoene told me my kitchen was filthy, which is what one of the host chefs just told somebody. I keep my kitchen clean so I don't think that would happen to me. Unless he would count the fast food bags my hubby insists on overfilling the fridge with. He's on my sh-- list, ya know.

Anyway, what could the ambush chefs make if they ambushed my kitchen?

My pantry is really full. Some dinners are planned (not as much this week as I'd like because hubby overstuffed us with his snacks and leftovers) and most aren't.

There are a LOT of black beans. I bought a six pack at BJ's before two of my picky eaters told me they HATE black beans. I LOVE them - they don't know what they're missing. I'll have to make two versions of dinner again, one of my pet peeves.

I also have one large jar of Prego Italian sauce, minute rice, egg noodles, canned spinach, canned mushrooms, canned soups, french onion soup mix, mashed potato mix, bread, bread crumbs, flour, sugar, brown sugar, syrup, spaghetti, angel hair pasta, velveeta shells and cheese, Bisquick, nutella, baking powder, baking soda, zucchini, sweet potatoes, one onion, red/orange/yellow peppers, green onions, blue berries, shrimp, chicken legs, ground beef, tilapia, lobster/shrimp dip, Ritz crackers, sweet pepper jelly, pudding, brownie mix, cake mix, lemon juice, fresh garlic, barbecue sauce, ketchup, cottage cheese, yellow rice, chicken boullion, eggs, turkey bacon, and tortillas. I may have forgotten a couple things.

Oh! Another stipulation is that you have to make the meal in 30 minutes or less. That's my kind of cooking. But it's not always that easy.

Of course, there's my go-to easiest meal ever - Spaghetti with meat sauce. Duh! What a no brainer.

Then there's shrimp fried rice. Wait! I don't know if my 18 year old human eating MACHINE, devoured the ham tat is so necessary to this dish. Probably.

Crepes with nutella. That would be desert but not the main dish.

There's always another easy stand by - scrambled eggs, bacon, and pancakes. Or French toast.

If I had cheddar or Monterray Jack cheese, which I usually do, I'd make chicken quesadillas. I used all the cheese on homemade macaroni and cheese last night. I think I can squeeze some ham and cheese into my packed fridge as they're staples in my kitchen.

I have lots of American cheese so I could make grilled cheese.

I need to come up with fancier meals than grilled cheese, however, to fit the spirit of the show.

Maybe black beans and rice for half of us and grilled cheese for the picky eaters.

No! I've got it! Shrimp Scampi with black beans and rice on the side.

So, here are my newly made shrimp scampi and black beans recipes.

The shrimp scampi was so simple, yet so delicious. And I'm throwing in a bonus. We stopped at BJ's inbetween my writing the first part of this post and cooking shrimp scampi. We sampled baguette bread dipped in an olive oil mixture that was simply to die for. Knowing it would be the perfect accompaniement to the scampi, I scooped up the baguette. So I'll also post the recipe for the baguette oil.

 
SHRIMP SCAMPI
 
 
INGREDIENTS:

2-3 pounds shrimp, deveined and without tils
Butter
1 medium clove, Fresh Garlic, minced
Lemon Juice
Sea Salt

DIRECTIONS:

Melt approximately 1 stick butter in a non-stick skillet. When melted, add thawed shrimp. Cook on medium heat.

Generously squeeze lemon juice over the shrimp. Add the minced garlic and sprinkle sea salt over shrimp.

Cook until shrimp look pink, stirring often.


BLACK BEANS
 
INGREDIENTS:

1 can 16 oz black beans
3 small peppers, 1 each orange, yellow, and red, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
sea salt
black pepper
1-2 tblsp butter

DIRECTIONS:

Put black beans in medium-sized pot. Stir in minced peppers, garlic, salt, pepper, and butter. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium. Stir often.

Meanwhile, make rice to go with beans. I made up a pot of Zatarain's yellow rice which was very tasty.


BRUSCHETTA AND DIPPING OIL


INGREDIENTS:

1-2 rolls baguettes
1 cup virgin olive oil
1 medium garlic clove, minced
2-3 tblsp Italian spices

DIRECTIONS:

Mix olive oil, minced garic, and Italian spices.

Heat for 1 minute in microwave.

Slice baguettes into very thin slices.

Dip bead in warm oil mixture.

Yum!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment